Friday, January 27, 2023

Tales from the streets - Meet Mark - homeless alcoholic

 




Mark comes from Southampton, he has been homeless in London for about 2 years. He comes from dysfunctional family and is an alcoholic. Check this out!


Vlog in text:


Right folks we are here with Mark who's been on the Streets of London for how long a good year and a half to two years right now since about 2020 start of the pandemic but well when it was beginning


ended up on the street well to begin with it was all sort of when I was born it was childhood issues and stuff and like did you grow up in like dysfunctional family or something like that sort of yes but it was a dysfunctional family based around addictions and alcoholism my parents were drinkers themselves


West Africa tongo yeah exactly yes the system's broken I'll pay tax all my life in the UK yeah born in the UK I ran an events company big company and kovid obviously it wiped it out yeah what happened did you oh


ended up using crack drugs hello how are you tired I'm cold and tight how was last night cold it's very cold last night pretty cold last night yeah yeah so you slept here and I out where it's Archie Arctic in hospital what happened it's got a testified very bad chest infection very bad chest infection and he ended up in hospital you're on your own yeah


[Music]


um that is one of the main problems that a lot of homelessness people go through whether it's alcohol drugs it could even be simple things like gambling or not especially nowadays with the way that the government is with everything with the cost of living but not even being able to pay their own rent and anything like that it's even another reason why it's very hard to get off the street because you need to sign up to benefits and everything like that if you haven't got a bank card or anything like that you can't get onto your benefits because they won't pay into anything else they might give you cash in hand payments anymore nowadays and it's just a difficult system to break out of right at this time do you come from London I come from Southampton which isn't far from London it's about 60 miles south of London my family is in the Kent area right now but I've like to find myself in London because you do a lot of homeless people get the idea that you would get more help here whereas what the government say is if you don't have a connection to this area even though it's a bigger city like we can't help you we could help you with food and everything but normal Necessities clothes and everything like that but when you're only getting that sort of help it's just a day-to-day routine of doing the same thing every day and if you're not getting the Help Housing wise you can slide on your mental health and everything whether it's depression whether it's anxiety even normal speaking to people it can be very very difficult and the more you go through it the more of your mental abilities you lose at times it's Vicious Circle it's a very Vicious Circle it's a very Vicious Circle you've got these people in government now spending loads of money on like airplanes just get from one place in England to another when are you talking about the Richardson that's it that's it I was reading that spending 2 500 quid an hour or something like that to use an airplane when that could feed the whole of London for about a week on breakfast yeah whereas me if I was prime minister I wouldn't take an airplane I'd just like catch a national expression like wherever he was off to UPS off and then that 2 500 an hour can go towards food for the homeless in these charity groups and day centers Mark you mentioned something like you grow up and there was a addiction problem in the family what about you are you messing with substances I do I mean I saw my mum and dad drinking very constantly when I was a child and it just sort of latched on from there and it's been like that since my young teenage years even while I was at school I think I think there's like a connection to that but some people seem some people end up like with parents that are drinking can get on with their lives and just move on some people are just set differently in the head some people can cope some people can't we all COPE in different sort of degrees at times yeah what substances are here on the streets there are quite a fair amount I mean I don't know whether or not it's like it up North but obvious alcohol that's one of the ones like I know people who are homeless up do a bit of cracking stuff like that bit of speed we all have a coping mechanisms there's spice there's new psychotic substances it's even all in the prison and stuff like that and get weed drugs in prisons it's pretty much the same thing with homelessness and just like prison Services some of the homelessness connected to the prison Services because of not getting housing some of them might have to go on to the Rob but some might happen robster food and stuff and they start getting themselves in trouble everything like that yeah


so you you say most of the homeless here on the streets are messing with substances so you would say I would say most of us because most of us don't need coping mechanisms but there are a majority that can live on the streets who are used to it who might not have actual addictions who can actually physically go for the help while their mental health is up here because when you're on these addictions your mental health is from here to possibly here you're still coping with your day-to-day life but you need everything else in place which is the problem with England you don't get your mental health you don't get your normal doctors we don't get your Alcohol Services all in one place it needs to all be sort of conjoined are you receiving any kind of benefits from the government I used to I used to but at this moment I don't particularly have a bed like I don't have this bank card but this Monday coming I've got an appointment with some mungoes which are a charity organization who I will be going to and they will be helping me to reconnect with my family to get me a mobile just help reconnect with family and hopefully try and sort of Bank out with HSBC there are Charities out there that can help with these things that are stopping from getting into the next step which is the accommodation whether it be your hostel whether it be your shared housing whether it be anything like that right good luck Mark I I like to keep positive it's the only way well isn't the last time you you had a gaff the last time I had a gap was when the that pandemic started all right you had one day because it was well it was Travelodge it was hotels all right I mean I was homeless before that in the Kent area but when the pandemic started the government got funding for basically good amount of funding if you get older homeless off the street into travel lodges because of covert so they didn't want us out on the street to catch covered but I didn't risk it the coffee helped homeless immensely it helped me mentally I was in Travelodge Hotel my own bed my own TV my own shower in the room mentally I was actually up here my alkalism my drinking I was probably drinking two or three well every two to three weeks instead of three or four times a week like you weren't drinking as much no no I was finding things to do during the day that go out for a little walk like five ten minute walk during the day when it was quiet at night have a little shower and you could do a bit of a routine you like that I I loved it as soon as I get my own housing again that would be brilliant I can sort of set a routine look for work and it's that first step that you need


as soon as you get that first step everything falls into place it's like a jigsaw as soon as you get that first step you can start looking for your work I couldn't figure out whether he mentally able to work or not I think I am at this moment I just hope everything in England gets better with the government because with the government we're getting just people in power that don't know what they're doing to be honest they're just chucking money at the local councils and everything like that to help us but they don't know how to do that the councils then just Chuck the money into the Outreach Services into the data centers and they just don't know what they're doing I think we need as a country to have people working in these data centers in these Outreach positions who have actually been through it through the situation itself like the street workers yeah do you see any Studio workers here you do get the street workers like coming around but there's this thing called weather provisionment which means they only tend to come out if it's severely cold or if it's severely warm I see so if it's not nice and warm or in mild temperatures you've got to do everything for yourself which some people can do but some people out there need a bit more of a helping hand and I don't think the homeless should have to wait until it's Sub-Zero conditions or absolutely belted hot like it was summer 41 of degrees were they around the last couple of days because it was so cold for me I haven't seen them but with me when I get to sleep at night I find the most best places that are nice and cozy where they might not necessarily look let's see but you get them cozy places where it's difficult to find so in some ways you have to be less cozy for them to find you you have to like sleep on a park bench or something like that here right under the streets that's it or say that around the coach stations or around the train station you've got to sleep in them sort of bases where it's a lot more windier and by the way what you eating right now it's a bit of like a curry rice I don't know what the peas is somebody gave you this I actually found it I knew it was from last night you found it it was literally it's a cold it must be cold it is but it's still nutrition though it doesn't jump my gosh I know it's from last night's food group all right and when they were handing it out then it was cold anyway so it's still going to be the same temperature I can't believe that Mark Mark if anybody like your family members are watching this are you do you have anything to say to anybody who recognize you they're out there yes yes I would I haven't spoken to my mum since the night before the World Cup final which was Argentina and the France she did say to me to get in contact with her so then she could tell me what was going on on that match but unfortunately I had a bit too much to drink and I lost my phone but I'd just like to say hi mum this is in all right man's that showering cross and I will hopefully see you soon man is coping because of the drinking that's my actual addiction and Mark if there is anybody like would like to give you some donations or Reach Out is there any email or Facebook you have Facebook and people can contact you I haven't at the moment at this moment no but that will be hopefully what I will be trying to sort out on Monday when I get when I've got this appointment with Saint mangoes because I know they're getting me a phone it might be just one that calls in text but they will give you a fun yeah so I can like talk to their family because not being able to talk to me mum like for the past month and a half or so it has been a bit meant to leave don't end side to side yes


all right Mark thanks a lot for the interview all the best my friends top on Monday we'll go well and you get a gaffe I hope so myself all the business space that's it until next time



Please subscribe to my channels English - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc6D5Fnuv-x76ZuBEE1QzqQ Polish https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc6D5Fnuv-x76ZuBEE1QzqQ Zupa's walks https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc6D5Fnuv-x76ZuBEE1QzqQ/shorts Music https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqUliL9aCdLJKX7bEqssl_g/videos Silesian Schalger https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzwrGNpy_d656LCARoqLexA/videos Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/bartosz.strzelec.aka.zupa.tlumacz.dj.life.lover/ Twitter https://twitter.com/Selekta_Zupa Instagram https://www.instagram.com/selekta_zupa/ Tiktok https://www.tiktok.com/@vlogger_zupa #londonlife #homeless #uk #homelessness #love #paris #newyork #england #addiction #recovery #mentalhealth #addictionrecovery #love #sober #sobriety #soberlife #recoveryispossible #depression #anxiety #mentalhealthawareness #wedorecover #alcoholism #motivation #soberliving #drugs #drugaddiction #addictionawareness #addict #onedayatatime #aa #alcoholicsanonymous #rehab #life #addicted #selfcare #soberaf #healing #health#fashion #usa #instagood #music #travel #londonlife #instagram #canada #unitedkingdom #like #follow #style #europe #losangeles #beauty #architecture #love #charity #poverty #covid #help #community #donate #homelesslivesmatter #nonprofit #support #volunteer #helpingothers #homelessnessawareness #homelesspeople #losangeles #street #endhomelessness #giveback #art #food #bnw #hope #life #humanity #mentalhealth


No comments:

Post a Comment