Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Meet Christopher - is NORTHERN IRELAND in trouble?

 Ad hoc interview in a plane from Ireland to the UK. Christopher is a very wise man.

. . .

. Vlog in text: Folks we are here with an Irish man from Northern Ireland he's got very very interesting stories about uh the situation because being from Northern Ireland which is part of the UK it's um you still part of you still have the you can have Irish citizenship and don't have to have passport to to fly in and out but my friend what's your name Christoper Christopher was saying about uh the brexit situation and Northern Ireland going down here is yeah yeah like people who own businesses have you know discovered there's difficulties in getting items from Northern Ireland to Britain lots of red tape more legislation that they didn't have to deal with before and yeah I think people are also noticing things like in the Republic of Ireland productivity is much higher wages are much higher and I think more and more people in the North for look and we'd like a little bit of that so yeah I think people in like the middle ground who normally we're like you know we're unionists we're British or whatever even they are changing their opinions people in the middle like there will always be people you know who are very strong in their beliefs and they'll never change their mind you know they'll always be British the unionist yeah yeah and they they'll never change some of them but there are some people who are like maybe in the middle you can change their mind and I think some of them are are maybe now starting to think that it might be better if it was one country but I think it's I think it's a long way off yet I'd like to see it but I I don't think for many years it will happen well Scotland had a referendum for Independence would that be possible to happen Northern Ireland yeah so um the Secretary of State who is like the the government's the British government's representative in Northern Ireland he or she you know depending on who's there they are the person who can decide when a referendum happens and if they think that there's a possibility that a vote would result in a United isand they can decide okay we can have the vote but it's only their decision and you would have to have the the permission from London to give yeah absolutely yeah would they give you it it depends I think if things keep going the way that they've been going for the last few years it's a possibility like you never hear about referendum in Northern Ireland no because every time like even politicians here will say no we have to we have to calm down we don't want to see anything that could inside violence or upset people you know they're trying to be very diplomatic about everything which you know I can understand but um the situation the Scotland very interesting because um the British government allowed them to have that referendum and then if you look to Spain Catalonia or where Barcelona is they keep saying you know Britain allowed Scotland to have a referendum the Spanish government should allow us to have a referend and they never did and I think had they had a referendum in Catalonia it would have been much closer than Scotland my guess yeah yeah there they have such a strong economic case MH I know Scotland had a good case as well but I think people were afraid that was a shocker in it yeah I remember the Scots were like yeah we want freedom and then it's like no they didn't really want it want yeah then yeah Canada had a had a close one in the '90s to Quebec Province the difference was half a percent half a percent yeah to quec to become become independent yeah I think it was know that yeah I think it was in 1994 or '95 and they did the analysis of the votes they did some polling with people who voted and they found that it was actually immigrants who moved to Quebec wanted to stay in Canada you know they thought we want stability in this country that we've moved to we don't want to move to a place and then for it to change and become independent yeah was it was very close for them so right all right and um when you liveing so that was interesting that you know being from northern Island automatically can be British or Norther or Irish you can't is like you born than you British because absolutely but you you are allowed to have yeah so the The Good Friday agreement from 1998 which was like the pace between both sides oh my god there were lots of different things which came for that so like one of them was if there's a parliament then Belfast the government has to be one unionist and one Republican party they have to work together it can't be like a single party who runs the entire place so that was one of them another one was the the referendum issue so it was agreed from that that the secretary of state would have power to have a referendum but one of the other big things with citizenship that the British government and the Irish government would re nice that people in Northern Ireland because of the S situation actually could be Irish they could be British or they could be both you're allowed to have both mhm you know so yeah that's why like I think I was seven when I got my first passport so at that point that was after the agreement so I'm from Northern Ireland but I've only had Irish passports you don't have British passport British no so are you like what under you like you like like settle state is settle state or something like that I'm still like U still considered like in Northern Ireland you're still considered like a UK citizen because you're a resident there and you pay tax there but you know you're citizenship to Ireland is also recognized and okay I say respect it maybe some people don't respect it but most people do all right yeah aome yeah like we like for tax we fully pay into the to the UK system in Northern Ireland so like for me so I'm living in London now for me to move I didn't really need to you know to do anything in terms of like tax or whatever change my address but like you know I'm still paying into the same tax system for example and the healthc care system is the same also but so Christopher are you planning you said you planning to go back to Ireland was that the northern island or the Republic public enal I don't know I actually don't know because the the the environment you know for for jobs is much much better than the Republic and especially because I live so close to the Border like it's basically the same Journey for me to go to work in Dublin or Belfast uhuh so like the the industry that I work in um if you had a job in Belfast you would maybe get £30,000 a year in that job if you had the exact same job but you were in Dublin you could have 65 70,000 yeah yeah it's that big a hell of a difference yeah it's even even Northern Ireland to the rest of the UK it's much smaller now the thing about that is I've about that the cost of living is far less in Northern than the rest of the UK so the wages are much less I see yeah so it's a it's a strange strange situation yeah it's it's changing because of the brexit is is there's a difference there what do you because I I've done like interviews with homeless people you know the homeless situation in in in Ireland and and Britain do you see any difference in that um in duin it's particularly bad um it's been like uh in every general election in the Republic it's a huge issue you know basically housing and then the homeless problem is more for hasand as well a lot of people think that the government here haven't done their best to help out with with that problem but it's Al it's also quite bad in in Belfast and well all of Northern Ireland obviously but in Belfast it's quite bad as the pandemic was ending I lived in bast for about one year before I came to London and and what had happened was because the city center was so quiet during Co a lot of homeless people who were living to like on the margins of the city came in to the to the center of the city and I think a lot of people remark that they could see that the homeless problem was much much worse after Co than before but I think the problem was always the same I think the people just moved closer to the city center and were little more visible but again I think I think very little has been done in Northern Ireland about homeless also it's it's a huge huge problem and one of the problems that people don't really like talking about I think in all of our drugs and cocaine because that that's a severe problem one of the reasons why I think it isn't talked about is because wealthy people middle class people you know have the same type of cocaine habit as maybe people with less money have let seem maybe they don't want to confront the situation but like it's it's in every town every village whether it's rich areas or her are you living like in Northern Ireland Republic of Ireland and the UK you see like differences in how the government handles the the problem well I wish but we haven't had a government in Northern Ireland for 2 years so because um one of the agreements about brexit meant that there's a b the border that exists between the UK and Ireland is in the sea they did that to avoid like friction by having a border on the island they were afraid to you know provoke trouble or inside the islands so they put the Border in the sea and the British unionist parties in Northern Ireland left the government and folks we're just about to take off so I finish this interview with Christopher he been very very resourceful he's got the knowledge wish I met him before all right see you on you thank you Christopher very welcome thank you Vlog Vlog was a Bo was [Music] a Join this channel to get access to perks: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc6D5Fnuv-x76ZuBEE1QzqQ/join Check my vlog on https://bloggervloggerselektazupa.blogspot.com/ Please subscribe to my channels English - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc6D5Fnuv-x76ZuBEE1QzqQ Polish https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCONq_xGqSq1IF_MF03QWhrQ Zupa's walks https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsFDFcYxQfjFbksRp9g5tcA Music https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqUliL9aCdLJKX7bEqssl_g/videos Silesian Schalger https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzwrGNpy_d656LCARoqLexA/videos Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/bartosz.strzelec.aka.zupa.tlumacz.dj.life.lover/ Twitter https://twitter.com/Selekta_Zupa Instagram https://www.instagram.com/selekta_zupa/ Tiktok https://www.tiktok.com/@vlogger_zupa #england #london #homeless #homelessness #uk #english #dailyvlog

No comments:

Post a Comment